Tuesday, 19 October 2010

Do as I say, not as I do..

I spend a lot of my time advising people to blog. A lot of the time, the conversation goes like this:

"You really should consider writing a blog, its the best way to show your knowledge in this field, and that, as much as anything else, will help attract students to your course"

"But doesnt that take a lot of time? I'm very busy"

"Oh no, we'll set up your blog for you, you just need to talk about what you're interested in. Before you know it, you'll do everything you can to MAKE time to blog"

"Wow, ok, well set it up for me and I'll give it a go"

However, sometimes it goes like this:

"You really should consider writing a blog, its the best way to show your knowledge in this field, and that, as much as anything else, will help attract students to your course"

"But doesnt that take a lot of time? I'm very busy"


"Oh no, we'll set up your blog for you, you just need to talk about what you're interested in. Before you know it, you'll do everything you can to MAKE time to blog"

"Really? So you blog then?"

"Erm...."

So, here is is, my own blog. I've contributed to many marketing, social media, technology and gaming blogs, and written on a few sites on a regular basis, but I've never actually had my own blog. So here it is.

I'll be using this mainly to share and discuss the great articles I read every day on various social media, there are so many clever people talking about it, and so many great article every day, that it can be quite overwhelming, and it's easy to end up not reading any, just because the task becomes daunting, and we get ever busier. My hope is that this will force me to take the time to read through this wealth of information, while helping anyone who reads this to maybe identify articles that will be of interest to them.

Oh, and so I can actually stop being such a bloody hypocrite.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, and should this get read before I have time to collect my thoughts tomorrow, my pick of articles from today :

    From the ever professional EConsultancy (if you work for an institution and they can afford it, I highly recommend you get a sub - the reports are brilliant):

    http://econsultancy.com/uk/blog/6734-facebook-fans-you-find-them-they-don-t-find-you

    And from the reliably brilliant Mashable (every morning, if possible, I read an article on Mashable while my coffee wakes me up):

    http://mashable.com/2010/10/16/free-social-media-tools-for-teachers/

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete